My Interests and Hobbies
Where do I begin? I have several interests and hobbies -- a few are listed below.
- The Internet, and web page design:
- I have been online since 1994. I have spent thousands of hours, since the Summer of 2001, learning
the basics of web page design. In fact, my web site was built and maintained exclusively using NotePad, no
other web page design software. I did this to learn making web pages with the most fundamental
tool. Since its creation, the website has been a big success for students, and parents. The website
has grown to over 1000 pages, with over a half million total visitors and I have received and responded to over 2500 emails. I also
created the first Marine Park Band website for the Instrumental Music Department.
- Click here to learn how to use the Internet for Research or about
Internet Safety and Security
- I like everything from Christina Aguilera, Benny Goodman, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown,
Metallica, Lynch Mob, Louie Prima, Stevie Ray Vaughan to Led Zeppelin. However, I do prefer Hard Rock and
Heavy Metal, especially from the 1980's. I had an album collection (LP's) of over 600 albums and
I stopped counting my CD's at 1,000. Keep Rockin!
- Musical Instruments:
- My father taught me to play the drums at a very young age. In junior high school and
high school, I learned to play the trumpet and other brass instruments. Outside of school, I played
in a band with a few friends, playing the drums, and dappling in the keyboard, bass guitar, and vocals.
- Song Lyrics and Poetry Writing:
- Along with my love of music, I enjoy writing song lyrics and poetry. I have been writing
for several years and I have actually copyrighted 46 different songs and poems. My works are
on file at the Library of Congress in Washington D.C.
- I hated to read, as a student, but now I find that its a good way to relax and learn more about
the world and universe. I try to read books, and magazines dealing with history and science.
My favorite readings have to do with technology, biology, geology, military history, spaceflight and astronomy.
- Numismatics: The study and collection of coins and currency.
- I collect coins and currency for both their historical and investment value. The U.S. Mint
and Bureau of Engraving and Printing have created many programs to collect coins, currency and
learn a lot about American History. Throughout the course of the school year, I try to incorporate
many coins from my collection into my lesson plans. This gives my students the opportunity to
see first-hand how coins have changed throughout American history.
- When I have the time, I try to watch some sports. Hockey is my favorite sport, followed
by football. My favorite New York team is the:
- I love to travel and see as much of the country, and world, as possible. My goal is to travel
to all 50 states. I have currently traveled to (or through) 22 of the 50 states. I also have traveled
several times to Canada, Mexico and the islands in the Caribbean. The world is a big place and I want
to see as much of it as possible. My ideal travel destination is space. To take a ride into space, would
be the ultimate adventure.
- Food Favorites:
- Lombardi's Pizza -- It is America's first pizzeria -- opening in 1905 - Yum.
- Patsy's on First Ave -- The Best Overall Pizza of NYC.
- New Park Pizza, the best pizza just across the Queen's border.
- Michael's of Brooklyn -- Quality Italian Food served right here in Brooklyn.
- Old Homestead Steakhouse -- Melt in your Mouth -- Steak Heaven.
- Pomme Frittes -- Best Fresh-Cut French (really Belgian) Fries -- Amazing.
- Verniero's -- Best Overall Italian Pastry -- America's First Pastry Shop and Cafe -- 1894.
- Bread Plus -- Best Cannoli Cream ever, in Cannoli shells or Cream Puffs.
- The Doughnut Plant -- Best, Freshest Doughnuts on the Planet -- All Natural and Organic to boot.
- Gem Spa -- Forget a Diner -- Best Egg Creams in the World.
- The seven greatest cookies ever invented:
- 1 - Mallomars
- 2 - Chocolate-filled Oreos
- 3 - Chocolate-covered Belgian Wafers
- 4 - Girl Scout Cookies - Tagalongs
- 5 - Chips Ahoy - Sandwich Cookies - Chocolate Creme
- 6 - Papadopoulos - Hazelnut
- 7 - Double-filled Milanos